She And Her Fiancé Committed Some Bad Deeds – Will They Be Forgiven By Getting Married?

Islamic Rulings - Living Shariah Verdicts

Islamic Questions & Answers

Approximately one year ago I got married to a righteous young man, and now we have done the marriage contract. But before the contract he used to hold my hand and kiss me. I know that it is haraam according to sharee'ah. Will Allaah forgive me now that we have done the marriage contract or does the sin remain and do I have to ask for forgiveness and offer expiation?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Many people use the word "engagement" to refer to the period following the marriage contract and before consummation of the marriage. If this is what is referred to in the question, then there is no sin on you for what happened between you, because simply by doing the marriage contract, the woman becomes the wife of the man and there is no sin on either of them for enjoying the other.

But if what you mean by engagement is simply promising to get married and agreeing to do so without doing the marriage contract, then what happened between you is haraam. During this period Islam does not permit anything more than looking so that both the man and woman can be sure that they want to go ahead and get engaged. What you both have to do – in this case – is to repent, seek forgiveness and regret these actions. The marriage contract between you is not sufficient to expiate for these sins, rather you have to repent and seek forgiveness.

With regard to expiation, there is no specific expiation for what has happened between you, but it is prescribed for the one who repents to do a lot of righteous deeds such as offering naafil prayers, fasting, giving charity and so on. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

"And verily, I am indeed forgiving to him who repents, believes (in My Oneness, and associates none in worship with Me) and does righteous good deeds, and then remains constant in doing them (till his death)"

[Ta-Ha 20:82]

For more information please see the answers to questions no. 3215, 12181, 2572

And Allaah knows best.

Tawbah (repentance) from fornication after the two partners are married

Supposing - and may Allah save us from such a thing that I sinned with a woman and then we married. And after many a year we both repent. What is required of us now?

So long as both of you are true in your repentance, it is required of both of you to get married anew in the presence of a wali (legal guardian of the woman) and two witnesses. But it is not necessary that it be done in a court—rather, it will suffice even if the whole proceeding takes place inside a house. --- Excerpts from the book "I would like to repent BUT..."

Tawbah (repentance) from fornication and what is the status of a child

There is another problem that has been worrying me for some time—namely, I committed fornication with a woman. How do I repent. Can I marry her in order to cover up the whole affair?
Another man says he committed fornication outside his country, and he knows that the woman conceived and delivered a child. Is this his child? And is itobligatory for him to bear the costs of the child's upbringing?

Questions of this sort are asked so often and by so many that it is time Muslims paid serious attention to their reformation in the light of the Qur'an and Sunnah, in order that such things do not occur in the first place. Special stress is to be placed on the lowering of the gaze, no bodily contact (including shaking hands) between men and women, wearing of the full hijab, prohibition of meetings in secrecy in particular and of mixing of sexes in general, discouraging unwarranted travel to non-Muslim countries, and early marriages. As for the question about one who committed fornication, there can be two situations.

Either the man did it by force, that is, raped the woman. Such a man should pay her the amount of mahr (dower) in accordance with her social class, as compensation for what harm he caused her. As for himself, he should sincerely repent. And, if the matter has reached the authorities, then he should be punished according to the law of shari'ah. See Madarij 1/366. Or, he has he had sex with a woman who consented to the act. There is nothing due from such a man except repentance. Neither the child is his, nor is the cost of upbringing born by him because it is an illegal child and must be attached to the mother and not the father.

The man's marriage to the woman, for the sake of covering up the issue, is also not permissible. For Allah revealed in the Qur'an a verse whose meaning can be translated as: "An adulterer does not marry but an adulteress or mushrika (polytheist). And an adulteress does not marry but an adulterer or mushrik (polytheist). (Al-Noor:3)

It is also not permissible to marry a woman who is pregnant from an adulterous act, even if the man has fathered the baby in the womb, as it is also not pemissible to marry a woman about whom it is not known if she is pregnant or not.

Nonetheless, if he repents, and she also repents, and she is proved to be not carrying a child, then it is permissible that he marry her and begin a new life. If she is carrying a child, they must wait until she delivers birth


©  EsinIslam.Com

Add Comments

Comments & Debates :-: التعليقات والمحاورات

:-: Go Home :-: Go Top :-: